Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Um...

Today was a pretty scary day for our little family. My worst nightmare almost came true. So today around noon I was in my kitchen and I just happened to look outside. I see a white male, tall and skinny just walking by our house. I noticed he was looking at our front door--actually staring at it. I am pretty surprised he didn't notice me in the kitchen window though. So, like I said, I didn't think anything of it. Went about my day...ran some errands...came home put Boston down for a nap...then I laid down. As I am laying down I hear the door bell ring. I get up, and I see a glimpse of a hat through the door. I notice it's the same hat I saw early on that guy walking by. For some reason, I felt like I shouldn't open the door. I hid myself in my kitchen, but I still could see what he was doing. He stood there ringing the door bell, knocking on the door...obssessively ringing the door bell and more knocking. Then, I hear the door handle jiggle. I freeze! I was thinking in my mind "I hope I locked the door" I am so so so grateful I did. Some more jiggling, more knocking and door ringing. Then it goes silent. I look out and he is gone...but I don't see him walking away on the streets. I get a feeling to run and lock the back door....so I quickly ran back to our living room, locked the sliding door and then go to a back room to where I can see still the back patio. I look out the window and there he was, standing on our porch, trying to open the slider door. I still am in shock and thinking "what the heck is he doing???" As I am standing there, I see him leave the sliding door, walk through the gate. I quickly ran to my room to where I can see the streets, and I see him leaving...with chips in his hand. I was hoping he was a REALLY obssessive/creepy salesman just trying to see if someone was home...but nope. Not.at.all. Same guy I saw looking at our house earlier. So I sit on my bed thinking what I should do. I call my mom...she freaks out tells me to call my dad or the police. I call my dad. He says this isn't something I should let go...I call the police and put in a statement. Many people have asked me why I just didn't call 911 during it all---um I didn't know what was going on!!!!! I just can't stop thinking about what if's...like what if I didn't lock the front door....or what if I didn't follow my instinct and lock the back door quickly??? I feel sick to my stomach. Jeff was at school during all this...he was pretty upset about it all as well, and just glad that I listened to my gut feeling and locked the doors. Anyway--the police have come by patroling the area and came and checked things out at my house. They figured it would have been a burglary. Here's the creepy part...about a week ago Jeff and I come home and notice something different about our lock--even if the door is locked...I can NOW turn the handle from the outside. Sure it won't open, but there are scratches on it like someone has tried to open our door and it can turn....ya Hi totally freaked out. I asked the policeman if we should get a gun and he said if it was him, he would of let the creep in so he could of shot him! Needless to say, I'm soo grateful I had my doors locked. I just don't know what would have happened. Just please, please always lock your doors during the day.

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Maria that is so frightening! I'm soooo glad you guys are ok. That is my worst nightmare too. I'm so thankful that you were able to react and get the doors locked. We'll be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I am bawling. I leave my door unlocked to our apartment ALL THE TIME. The chances of that happening in an apartment complex are slimmer than in a neighborhood but it can still happen.. I am SO sorry that you had to feel that scared for even a second I got the worst chills and feeling just reading about it. Isnt it great that we can be so close to the spirit to always receive those promptings. I just shared this with my husband and his first thought was- good thing we have guns. I am a firm believer in owning a gun, I would get one if I were you, even if this didnt happen.. Make sure you go to a firing range, KNOW how to use it one handed with your eyes closed too.
    So sorry that this happened I am glad you guys are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARIA! That is SO scary! I am glad you were safe. I am totally paranoid about that happening to me so throughout the day I always have a plan about what I would do if something happened at any point. Stupid freak, hopefully he stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maria! That is such a scary story! i am glad you are ok, and boston. I would change your locks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD CRAP!! That would have freaked me out! I'm so gladded you listened to the spirit. It's a good lesson to learn and to remind all of us -- to lock out doors (even when we are home doing things). I still can't get over how scary that must have been....

    ReplyDelete